Friday, August 12, 2011

I Write For The Adventure!


I write for the Adventure

I think I would love fame and fortune at least I know I wouldn’t mind the money.

The real reason I write is for the adventure. I immerse myself in the action and drama the story provides.  When I read or watch a movie it’s for the adventure and the thrill of discovery.  Like most readers when reading I live in the moment the character does.  The writer has taken me on his journey and he keeps it exciting and mysterious.   

I’ve battled the Death Star and fought evil wizards but I never realized how much more exciting it is to write an adventure.

When I’m writing I follow along with the characters not knowing whats next.  When they get into trouble I have to figure out how to get them out of trouble, they never thank me.  Then again I did kind of lead them into trouble.  I become one of the crew.  I get mad when one of them gets hurt.  I get emotionally involved with my characters and believe in their cause a lot more than when I’m reading.  I think that’s because most of the characters in my book are people I know and care about in real life.   I think they really like it when I send them to other planets or give them a hero’s death.

 I am also aware of my reader on the adventure with me and what they might want or expect and then think outside that box. 

The greatest thing is once the adventure is over I realize I have written a cool adventure book and to me that is the treasure at the end of the story.  Writing is not always easy.  There is a lot of rewriting and rewriting.  It can be a lot of hard research that kind of screws with your story.  It is always a battle to finish the book but that’s how most adventures go.

Keep Writing

Matt Schott
In Kindle format
Also at my storefront in paperback or ebook

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail right on the head. When I wrote my first draft, I sent my protagonist on a quest and threw obstacles at him. I then discovered how he handled each obstacle. Watching my character transform, as he sought to solve the story problem, was exciting and fun. I still remember the joy of writing it. Well said, Mat.

    ReplyDelete